DIY: Typopgraphy “Kitchen” Decoration

How fitting that less than two weeks after I posted this DIY: Kitchen Decoration that weekly challenge at CSI Project is Typography! I have visited the CSI website many times since I discovered it a few months ago. By the way, CSI is an acronym for “Create Something Inspirational”. I’ve been waiting for a challenge to enter. I had planned to enter last week’s Valentine’s Challenge, but unfortunately missed the deadline. For my regular readers, I apologize that this is a little repetitive; even though the post isn’t “old”, I still wanted to update it for this.

I heard from one reader that they would like to see pictures of it in my kitchen, so I have added those at the end of the post.

A few weeks ago I was browsing through a department store looking for anything that would catch my eye as something I could use to decorate our office or kitchen. I saw this sign saying “Faith” and looked at it for a while.

It wasn’t big enough for the space I wanted to fill and although I think “Faith” is appropriate in any room I was really hoping to find something that was kitchen themed.

A few minutes later I walked by the Christmas clearance section. I always get distracted by the word “clearance” and I was especially distracted when I saw a stand with ornaments marked down to $0.99. They were originally $12+. Not to mention the fact that I had a coupon for 20% off all sale and clearance items – even better!

Then I saw a huge, huge picture of Santa….

Original price, $120. Seriously. I even took a picture of the tag.

Clearance price, $4.99. And don’t forget my 20% off coupon! When I checked out the lady commented on the great deal I just got on the picture. I told her I didn’t want the picture, I only wanted the frame. My biggest regret is that I didn’t buy the only other one left. I went back a few days later and it was gone. I really wish I had it now…

I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. I went to a craft store and bought a pieces of foam board, white canvas fabric, some textured scrapbook paper, foam brushes and a few shades of red, blue and white acrylic paint. My total bill there was less than $15.

I took apart the frame and threw away santa. I cut the foam board down to the right size and covered it with white canvas fabric, using a staple gun to secure it.

I cut the textured scrapbook paper into 7 4″x12″ pieces. I used different shades of paint to cover the background on the papers, making each one a little different.

Then I used an paintbrush to draw letters onto each of the pieces to spell the work “Kitchen”.

I used packing take to secure them to the canvas and then placed the foam board in the frame.

The whole thing cost less than $20 and only took a couple of hours from start to finish. And I love it!

To get the canvas-covered-foam-board to fit into the frame I had to remove ALL (there were probably 20 or so) of the metal rings stuck in the sides that previously held the glass and santa picture in place. I used a needle nose pliers to do that and because I couldn’t get the glass out while those were still there, I had to pull all of those out with the glass still in the frame. Of course I couldn’t make it all around the frame without making a mistake, with only two left to pull out I managed to let the pliers slip and chip off a small piece of glass in the corner. At that point I was REALLY wishing I had bought the other frame. The luck! It was noticeable from the front, but fortunately it was a pretty small piece and it didn’t spider throughout the glass. With a few feet of blue ribbon and some raffia I was able to hide the damage.

I actually love it even more with that addition. Plus, as you can see I also added a coordinating blue ribbon and raffia to the flower base on the floating shelves next to it.

Speaking of the flowers, I really wish I had taken pictures throughout that process! I dug right in to it the second I got home from the store that day – literally the second I got home. That was a $5.00 clearance purchase – it had only the red flowers and had a black base with black rocks. When I bought it I picked up that stem with blue flowers, also on clearance for $0.99. A few coats of paint, which I purposely layered to get the textured look, was all it took to make it coordinate in the kitchen. I also painted the black rocks (permanently in the base) white. Then I cut off the blue flower stem and bent it to make it stick in with the red flowers. I threw some white rocks over the black rocks and added the ribbon and raffia. I’m pretty happy with it too… just wish I had pictures to show the process.

This project has been entered in the CSI (Create Something Inspiring) Project Typography Challenge. Click the image below to go to that website:

Advertisements
Comments
One Response to “DIY: Typopgraphy “Kitchen” Decoration”
Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] This is the wall across from the window and sink, also love the “kitchen” picture I made. I entered that in a previous CSI challenge! You can see how I made it by clicking here. […]



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: